By Dawit Tolesa
The ninth week Ethiopian premier league fixture will see table toppers Sidama Coffee take on Welayta Dicha in Debub Derby as Ethiopian Electric Power face archrivals St. George in the Addis Ababa derby.
Elsewhere, Ethiopia Coffee will face Hawassa City at the Addis Ababa Stadium while Commercial Bank of Ethiopia take on Adama City in only two matches that will be held in the capital on Saturday.
A win for Dicha in the Debub Derby could see them leapfrog Sidama to top the table depending on results elsewhere, with only one point separating the two teams. But Sidama – current leaders with 14 points – will be expected to take home advantage playing at Yirgalem Stadium. A win for them also means triumph on yet another derby rival after overcoming Hawassa away from home in their previous fixture.
Defending champions St. George, currently sitting in an unfamiliar 6th place, will hope to build on their 2-0 win against Muger Cement last week as they take on Ethiopian Electric Power, who sit second edging Dicha and Ethiopia Coffee with goal difference.
Ethiopian Electric Power could only muster one point in their away game against Arba Minch last week. The Addis Ababa derby will kick off at 5 PM on Sunday at the Addis Ababa Stadium.
Ethiopia Coffee’s fine form at the start of the league suffered a setback last week at the hands of Adama City in an enthralling draw that saw six goals hitting the back of the net. Playing at home Coffee’s ninth week fixture against strugglers Hawassa city will be a perfect opportunity for them to bounce back.
A win for Coffee will add more fervor to the title race but piles more pressure on Hawassa who find themselves in the relegation battle alongside Muger and Woldiya all with five points from eight matches.
Week 9 Fixtures
- Ethiopia CoffeevsHawassa City (kick off 3 PM – Addis Ababa Stadium)
- Commercial Bank of EthiopiavsAdama City (kick off 5:30 PM – Addis Ababa Stadium)
- SidamaCoffeevsWollaittaDicha (kick off 3:00 PM – Yirgalem Stadium)
- Ethiopian Electric Powervs St. George (kick off 5:00 PM – Addis Ababa Stadium)
- Defense ForcevsWoldiya City (kick off 3:00 PM – Addis Ababa Stadium)
- Muger Cement vsDedebit (kick off 3:00 PM – Assella Stadium)
- Dashen BeervsArba Minch (kick off 3:00 PM – Gondar Stadium)
Week 8 results
- (Sunday, 21 December 2014)
- Hawassa City 1- 2 SidamaCoffee
- WelaytaDicha 1 – 0 Defense Force
- St. George 2 – 0 Muger Cement
- Dedebit 0 – 0 Commercial Bank of Ethiopia
- Woldiya City 1 – 0 Dashen Beer
- Adama City 3 – 3 Ethiopia Coffee
- Arba Minch 1 – 1 Ethiopian Electric Power