Hyenas roam freely every night In the ancient walled city of Harar in eastern Ethiopia, seeking scraps of meat to drag to the nearby caves. Abbas Yusuf, known as Hyena Man, learnt to feed the hyenas from his father, Yusuf Mume Salleh, who fed them for 45 years before passing the job to his son 13 years ago.
1. Abbas Yusuf, 23, known as Hyena Man, feeds a hyena on the outskirts of Harar, Ethiopia.
Hyenas are a deadly animal but residents are not afraid. A family chosen by the town to feed the animals is not daunted by the task despite the dangers that are associated with coming into close quarters with such wild animals.
2. Hyenas wait for Yusuf or Hyena Man, on the outskirts of Harar. He learnt to feed the hyenas from his father, Yusuf Mume Salleh, who fed them for 45 years before passing the job to his son 13 years ago.
3. Yusuf plays with a hyena cub near his house. His work is now an attraction, drawing in tourists who came to see the city’s ancient mosques nestled within its old stone walls.
4. To encourage visitors to trust the hyenas, Abbas feeds them directly from his mouth.
5. A man feeds birds in front of a meat market.
6. People sit outside the walled city of Harar.
The hyenas live in caves outside the city and roam the rubbish dumps, also outside the walls. Some hyenas give birth in the ditches in the middle of the city.
7. Faithful attend a Sunday morning prayer session in Medhanialem Orthodox church within the walled city.
8. People walk past a car parked in front of a hotel.
9. Mohamed Aman, 27, prepares fetira for breakfast in front of his coffee shop.
10. Yusuf feeds a hyena from his mouth.
11. A hyena reacts to the camera as it is being fed by Yusuf.
12. Hyenas wait for their Hyena Man.
Inputs From Reuters
Read More News Here Source link