Athletics: Suhr, Cain win but Rupp hurt at Boston meet

እግር ኳስ ፣ አትሌቲክስ ...
Soccer, Premier league, Athletics...
zeru
Leader
Leader

Athletics: Suhr, Cain win but Rupp hurt at Boston meet

Unread post by zeru » 08 Feb 2014 23:44

Ethiopia's Hagos Gebrhiwet won the men's 3,000 in 7:34.13, while New Zealand's Nick Willis won the mile in 3:57.41. Kenya's Sally Kipyego won the women's
Indoor world record-holder Jenn Suhr won and US teen Mary Cain set a world junior record Saturday at the Boston Grand Prix, where US miler Galen Rupp suffered an injury.
The indoor athletics meet also saw a world record in the seldom-contested indoor 4x800-meter relay, with the American foursome of Richard Jones, David Torrence, Duane Solomon and Erik Sowinski breaking a mark set at the same event in 2000.
Suhr, who set a world record of 5.01m at last year's US indoor meet, won by clearing 4.70 but promised the best was yet to come, potentially at next month's world indoors in Sopot, Poland.
"I dont have those 'meet legs' and the timing under me, but we've got a lot of the season left," Suhr said.
Cain, a 17-year-old from New York, won the 1,000 in 2:35.80, missing her target of the US record 2:34.19 set by Jen Toomey in 2004.
"I felt really good," Cain said. "Of course, I was hoping for the American record, but I felt so good. I kind of felt that last 150, I can do more."
Cain became the youngest American to compete at a world athletics championships after running last year in Moscow.
Rupp, who set American records in the 5,000 and two-mile events last month, dropped out of the mile with a pain in his left foot with two laps remaining, dimming his world hopes with the US indoor meet, a world qualifier that comes at the end of the month.
Click here to read more

Return to “Ethio Sport .... ኢትዮ ስፖርት”