From more than 700 on-board Only 24 bodies have been recovered so far and only 27 survivors were rescued
Geneva, April 21 – According to the United Nations spokesperson statement on Tuesday some 350 Eritreans were among the 850 people who perished in the migrant boat that sank off the coast of Libya on Saturday night.
U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees spokesperson Adrian Edwards said, “according to survivors heard by UNHCR, the boat left Tripoli, Libya on Saturday with approximately 850 people and many of them were children. Among the people on board, there were 350 Eritreans, and others from Ethiopia, Syria, Somalia, Sierra Leone, Mali, Senegal, Gambia and Ivory Coast “.
The European Union is in the process of deciding a course of action targeting human traffickers in the Mediterranean in the wake of migrant-boat disaster.
On Monday, the European Commission presented a 10-point plan including destroying smugglers’ boats on the Libyan coast.
Italy unveiled a five-point plan on Tuesday which includes a similar approach to destroying smuggler boats and the possible use of drones. Proposals will be examined by a special EU summit Thursday.
In the related news, Prosecutors said Tuesday that they arrested the captain and a crew member of the boat in which as many as 900 people are feared to have drowned in the unremitting waves of migrants seeking to escape from war-torn Libya.
Even as the search continued for victims of the weekend disaster, coast guard ships rushed to respond to new distress calls on the high seas — two off Libya and a third boat that ran aground near Greece.
Assistant Prosecutor Rocco Liguori said the Tunisian captain and Syrian crew member were arrested aboard the rescue boat that brought 27 survivors from the deadly shipwreck to Sicily. The two were charged with favoring illegal immigration and the captain was also charged with reckless multiple homicide in relation to the sinking.
Read More on HuffingtonPost